Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Portage High School says goodbye to longtime media clerk

Photo courtesy of The Times of Northwest Indiana.

Rebecca Belt, Media Clerk at Portage High School, has recently resigned. Belt has done a lot of amazing things for our school, but the most notable one is stepping up to run the library by herself, for the students. Belt was a vital asset. 

She was a great resource, she aided her colleagues, and she made students’ literacy excel. She put forth extraordinary effort everyday, even when tired. She has worked as a library clerk for 13 years, and within that time Belt has made plenty of memories, with both students and teachers over the years. Such as Ms. Dimov, a PHS English teacher, who reminisces on her time with Belt both as a student and a colleague.

“Some of my best memories from Mrs. Belt are always coming into the library during high school. I would have lunch with her and the other librarian. We would chat. She just made me feel like I had a safe place to go too. Mrs. Belt watched me go through high school and then become a teacher. There’s something to be said for that.”

Dimov used to be one of Belt’s students. Belt has stayed in the school industry for an impressive amount of time, and has made a huge impact on plenty of people. Many other students and staff appreciated and respected her and her space, but one of the most notable colleagues was Mr. Kretz,

“I love the fact that she and I held students accountable in the Media Center; because of that she appointed me her deputy–badge included. I try to wear it every time I bring my classes to see her. Since I ‘encouraged’ my students to use their time wisely and follow the rules of the Media Center, Mrs. Belt gave me a deputy badge. She appreciated the fact that I helped monitor student behavior”

Kretz helped Belt with the behavior of his students, making sure they not only treated people with respect, but also all of the items in the Media Center. Mr. Klimczak also shares his love for Belt’s space. 

“She always put on great presentations and held students to high standards while showing a passion for books.”

Klimczak loved Belts presentations, and the students that visited during class time did too. Belt loved to show her presentations at the beginning of the school year, either as the rules for newcomers, or simply just a reflection for others. Connections weren’t only based off of the space belt made, but also her interactions with staff such as Mr. Fedro.

“I reflect fondly on conversations about 80’s movies and music as well as our shared passion for the True Crime genre.”

Fedro states his best memories happen to be their passions and the things they take a liking in.

Belt has made a great impact on both teachers and students, and created so many memories amongst them.  Everyone thanks you for your time here, and wishes you the best on your future endeavors. 

View Comments (2)
Donate to Portage Township Media

Your donation will support the student journalists of Portage High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.