Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Learn All About Unified Track

What is Unified Track?

Unified Track is a separate track and field organization at PHS. It combines “typical” athletes with athletes with special needs. All the athletes with special needs are partnered with a typical athlete to assist and teach them how to do various events, like running the 100 meter dash and throwing the shotput.

Why Is Unified Track Important?

Unified Track is important because it is an inclusive sport. Athletes with special needs do not always get their chance to shine on the track. With this program, these athletes receive the opportunity to be involved in a sport. When an athlete with special needs joins Unified Track, they feel included and valued.

Who Can Be In Unified Track?

Unlike other sports that require tryouts, Unified Track accepts all who wish to join. Unified Track was created to incorporate the athletes with special needs, so they are a huge portion of the members. Then, there are the “typical” athletes who join. They join to ensure the athletes with special needs have a good time. Any athlete who wishes to join do not need to fear about not being the fastest or the strongest on the team because that isn’t the main focus of this particular sport.

How Long Is The Unified Track Season?

The Unified Track season is fairly shorter than any other sport offered at PHS. The season consists of only a month and a half compared to the long season of boys basketball. This short season gives the athletes with special needs enough time to experience the thrill of Track and Field, while also not dragging the season out for longer than needed.

Why Has Unified Track Gained Popularity At PHS?

This particular sport has gained popularity at PHS because of the number of athletes with special needs who wish to be a part of a sport or after school activity. As stated, there are no tryouts for whomever wants to join this team, making it a judgment free zone for all the athletes. Track and Field events are for everyone, so making a Unified Track team at PHS was the most appropriate way to include the athletes with special needs.