Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Chicago Blackhawks Traded Their Hockey Hero After 16 Years

Patrick Kane officially traded to the New York Rangers leaving Chicagoins in shock

Right-winger Patrick Kane was the Blackhawks first ever first round pick in the NHL Draft. They picked eighteen year old Patrick Kane, who was guessed to become one of the greatest who ever played the game of hockey. With the end of his career with the Blackhawks, he is one of the most notable players to ever wear the red sweater. Kane’s career with the Blackhawks led him to drive the team to three Stanley Cup victories. During the 2012-2013 season, Kane was named MVP for his outstanding athleticism and work in the playoff season.

“While today marks the end of an era for the team,” says Danny Wirtz, CEO, “he will forever be a part of the Blackhawks family. Three Stanley Cups, over 1,000 games, more than 1,200 points, over 400 goals and countless awards are just part of the legacy he leaves here…”

Blackhawks fans in the city of Chicago and around North America are in an uproar. Although talk of the Kane trade was in the air last trade season, nobody was really ready for him to leave. To fans, Kane was the last reminder of the previous championship wins. It has been an emotional week for fans and Kane himself.

Kane said in a statement, “I will miss the roar of the United Center, the deafening sound of the anthem and the people of Chicago. Together, we made memories that will last a lifetime like the three Stanley Cup Champions banners that will forever hang at the United Center.”

Just a few short days later, Kane swapped his red jersey out for an Americana entrance to the New York Rangers, where he will reunite with his old teammate and friend, Artemi Panarin. On March 2nd, Kane was a stranger to his new home arena, Madison Square Garden, but quickly became recognizable again as the show-stopping player that knows how to please a crowd. Only playing 19:36 seconds on the ice, Kane might have become the new crowd favorite in the big apple. Kane’s New York Rangers jersey is now available for purchase on any NHL jersey website.

Back in Chicago, there have been many fan tributes and “thank you” murals around the city and in the United Center itself. The Blackhawks Organization has been quick to reassure fans of a positive result from trading the most popular player, but with almost no time left until the playoffs, the Blackhawks will have to find a way to comeback without their star player next season. In the meantime, the New York Rangers have now become the most popular team in the NHL.