Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Portage High School’s Swim Team Fosters Strong Connections

Portage, Indiana | While the Portage High School Swim Team has had a difficult season, the team has pushed through stronger than ever. The team has had their ups and downs but has pushed through with the help of its strong bond.

“The team works well together by supporting everyone throughout the ups and downs of practice and meets,” said Hannah Smith, 11.

Smith explained the team has a strong network of physical and mental support. The team always has a positive mindset; teammates put themselves up to any challenge that comes their way.

Tatum Hadley, 9, echoed Smith’s sentiment.

“Everyone gets along; if there is a problem or tension, we always show good sportsmanship and communication to solve it.”

Teammates work together by communications, helping each other, and proving to one another that they are dedicated to the team.

Jacklyn Wozniak, 12, said the they team haas a very good support system.

“It’s definitely one of the most supportive teams at Portage,” Wozniak said. “We scream and cheer for everyone’s races, and there is a huge sense of love for everyone on the team”

With the added benefit of a strong support system, swimming is known to alleviate stress and anxiety.

“I do swimming because it helps me keep my stress levels down; it gives me a healthy outlet for my energy. I also love competition and pushing myself to improve,” Wozniak added.

The swim team has a many fun memories together and look forward to continue making more.

“My favorite memory so far was meeting all the girls and making new friendships,” said Pamela Yang, 9.

“My favorite memory is our blanket making party,” Wozniak said. “The all met up at a teammate’s house after a Saturday practice, ate breakfast, and made blankets. We took our blankets with us to all of our meets; it was such an awesome team bonding experience.”