Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Finals Frenzy: Some Advice Before Exams

Finals Frenzy: Some Advice Before Exams

It is already that time of the year! It is time to decorate trees, make cookies, and listen to Christmas carols. It is also time for cramming in make-up work, studying for finals, and ensuring that you pass the semester in order to get a credit. As we move into the last week of the semester, here are some reminders in order to ensure that you are prepared. 

Check your grades on PowerSchool

PowerSchool gives you access to your grades, and you are able to see what assignments are weighing into your overall grade. You are also able to see what assignments you are missing if you have failed to turn them in. Make sure to talk to your teacher about these missing assignments, and get them turned in if you are allowed to. 

Spend some time studying 

In order to get the best grade possible on your final exams, you will need to study. Most of your exams, unless your teacher says otherwise, will be a review of everything that you have learned over the semester. This may require you to brush up on some concepts that you may have not thought about or have practiced since the beginning of the school year. Luckily, many of your teachers should provide you with study guides and reviews in order to help you. Additionally, websites such as Quizlet, Kahoot, and Khan Academy have a plethora of resources. It is also helpful to look over any of your past notes and homework in order to freshen up on what you have learned.

Remember to take care of yourself

Though you may be caught up in all of the bustle of preparing for finals and finishing assignments, it is important to still care for your personal needs as well. Good habits at home, such as getting enough sleep and eating full meals are vital to doing your best at school. Also, your mental needs are just as important as your physical and academic needs. The end of the semester can be stressful, but you do not have to go through it alone. If you are feeling overwhelmed, it is important to talk to someone about it, whether it be your friends, family, or another adult you trust. 

Finals will be held on Thursday, December 21 for mods 2, 4/5, 5/6, and 9, and Friday, December 22 for mods 1, 3, 6/7, 7/8, and 10. If your class has a two-part final, the first part will be given on Wednesday, December 20th; the second part will be given on either Thursday or Friday depending on the mod. Right after finals will be the start of Winter break and some needed relaxation! Good luck, and happy holidays!