Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Wednesdays Bring Wonder to PHS Students In New HARP Activities

Homeroom School and Education Vector Icon BackgroundWyoming Schools School and Education Vector Icon Background. The main object of this royalty free illustration is the key word surrounded by school and education vector icon pattern. The icons vary in size and color and are very vivid. This illustration is conceptual and is perfect for school and education industries. Each icon can be used independently from the background set.
Getty Images

Have you ever wanted to learn how to play pickleball? Perhaps create your own comic book? Maybe you want to try your hand at using a microscope? Or maybe you would like to serve up the most delicious snack mix? Every Wednesday, you will be able to do all of those things and so much more during your homeroom/HARP time. Students now have the opportunity to choose between a variety of activities hosted by PHS teachers and staff. This includes enrichment activities for courses and extracurriculars you already participate in, such as practicing how to use a unit circle for math classes and weight training for sports, as well as activities that do not directly relate to academics, such as making crafts and discussing current events.

Mrs. Marcia Hobart, who spearheaded the HARP program, explained that the new homeroom activities are designed for students to explore their interests and hobbies in a classroom setting, as well as provide them with an incentive to put more effort into their academics. 

“The academic experiences and enrichment activities are limited. There is a grade requirement to be able to make those choices, to get in there. So, if you are on top of your school work, doing everything that you should, it is an opportunity to pursue other interests.” Mrs. Hobart said when asked about the benefits of the new HARP activities. 

Hobart also expressed that other school districts that have done HARP have done a similar program.

“I watched a ton of videos and read documents of other schools who do this [academic experiences and enrichment activities], it’s actually fairly common. It’s not my original idea, I just took bits and pieces of what other people were using.” Hobart said. 

In addition to academic experiences or enrichment activities, students will be able to use Wednesdays to receive assistance for any subjects that they may struggle with, as well as make up any missing assignments or failed tests with remediation time. Those with three Ds or more are required to participate in remediation. 

Mrs. Hobart does not want students who use Wednesdays for remediation to view HARP in a negative light. Instead, she hopes that these students will appreciate receiving individualized assistance in the subjects that they are struggling with. Hobart works part time as a literacy instructional coach and noticed the dire need of one-on-one help for many students. In response, she devised the idea of implementing the resource period in students’ schedules. 

“I saw a definite need for more engagement, for kids to get more help.”

In order to sign up for Wednesday’s activities, you must log into PowerSchool and select “Adaptive Scheduler.” Then, you must click on “Select Session,” where you will be directed to a page listing the different sessions available. Once you have decided on an activity, select the highlighted blue text. Be sure to select it as soon as possible, as sessions are scheduled first come, first serve.