Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

City of Portage Prepares for 2023 Mayoral Election

Portage, Indiana | The Portage Township mayoral election is coming up on November 7th, 2023, with the two primary candidates running: Democrat Sue Lynch and Republican Austin Bonta. 

Sue Lynch, the democratic candidate, was elected as mayor in 2019 and is running for re-election this year. Lynch went to college and studied Communications at Ivy Tech Community College and Environmental Science at Indiana University. Environmental Science has led her to be in multiple organizations dedicated to protecting the environment in Portage. On Lynch’s official re-election website, it states that her priorities as mayor are public safety, infrastructure, jobs and development, and managing a proper budget.

Lynch has kept her vision for Portage clear since her first election in 2019. Her hopes to win the November 7th election to secure the future of Portage are sincere and genuine. 

The republican candidate, Austin Bonta, is a former special education teacher and current business owner of Soundtide Music School Bonta is a self-proclaimed public servant and says that, as mayor, he will properly manage tax dollars for a proper budget. Alongside his commitment to the taxpayers, he states on his website that he has his eyes set on improving Portage infrastructure, supplying first responders with needed resources, and providing a better environment for businesses to grow.

Bonta has been hopeful and driven to be elected for mayor since he announced his intention to run for mayor in the fall of last year. Hope for Bonta’s election remains high, and he is sure to keep positivity flowing between the candidates. Anxiety can be high in the days leading up to the election. No matter what the results are, the fact stands that the mayor candidates are keeping this mayoral race much cleaner than previous elections. Bonta, the Republican candidate, prides himself on this because he does not believe that public leaders should encourage harmful comments. Make sure to visit Lynch and Bonta’s election websites for any more information on the candidates and their goals.