Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Where Inclusivity Dreams Come True

Disney’s ‘Reflect’ is the first use of a young plus-size protagonist in one of their films, and fans are raving.

‘Reflect’ is a short film streaming on Disney+ about Bianca, a young ballet dancer who struggles with confidence and her body. She overcomes her fear of her own reflection by using her inner strength. It is a short film, only lasting 6 minutes, that’s goal is to show how Bianca conquers body dysmorphia and self-doubt.

The animation artist and director at Disney, Hillary Bradfield, said that what she wanted viewers to get out of the film is to “feel more positively about themselves and how they look.”

Bradfield wants young girls especially to feel comfortable in their skin, and to feel like they are seen in films such as ‘Reflect.’

“Sometimes you go to the dark place to get to the good place. And that just makes the good place much more beautiful,” Bradfield said.

Although Disney has made many improvements to diversity and inclusivity in their films in the past few years, such as “Big Hero 6” and “Soul,” this is the first film to focus on a plus-size character.

“16 year old me needed this Disney short before I quit ballet because I didn’t want to be the fat girl in class anymore,” a Twitter user shared. “I’m glad little ones will have this. 10/10 for Reflect!”

This short film is proof of Disney’s effort to change the stereotypes that society has placed upon minorities, or people that look different than others. Their slogan is “Where Dreams Come True,” is true for those that are lacking inclusiveness in modern society.