Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Meet the Girls at The Mat

Meet the Girls at The Mat

With the spirit of inclusion rising higher than the Empire State Building, it was bound to take an effect on the Portage Township Schools district. One of the recent steps that Portage Township Schools has taken to make everyone feel included is the addition of girls wrestling as a sport this winter season.

With the inaugural season starting soon, the team is already having after school practices. Head Coach Acuna is looking forward to the possibility of the season with the new additions.

“[There’s been] a decent turnout of about 8 girls showing up for practices to start the season,” Coach Acuna said. “Hopefully as a program and school we can promote it more to increase the participation since our school has such a rich history of success in wrestling, I hope more girls would want to be a part of the success going forward.”

Girls wrestling has been a sport of interest for quite some time around Portage, and it is the fastest growing sport across the United States, popping up into 34 other states. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations survey of 2018-2019, wrestling, especially girls, showed the most growth and interest in all categories.

“It’s the fastest growing women’s sport in America right now, which is leading to more collegiate scholarship opportunities for girls seeking higher education through athletics. Internationally we’re the 2nd best country in the world when it comes to women’s wrestling. And 2 of the women on the USA team are from Indiana.” The 2 women from Indiana are Sarah Hildebrandt and Kayla Miracle.

But is there any difference between girls and boys wrestling? Yes, all participants practice together, and grow stronger together, but is the overall mindset and goal for the girls different from the boys?

When asked about the difference between the girls and boys wrestling, Coach Acuna put it best, “The approach with wrestling doesn’t change much because wrestling is wrestling. The approach that is different does not boil down to boys vs girls, it boils down to understanding all athletes are different and our job as coaches is to identify what works best for each athlete.”

The debut match for the girls will be November 22nd against Crown Point at home. Make sure to cheer them on as they compete for victory this inaugural season.