Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Ask Ms. Evans: Support Groups

Dear Ms. Evans, I feel like such an outcast here. Literally no one relates to the problems that I have or how alone I feel. I wish there was somewhere I could go that no one would judge me by how I look, my preferences, and everything else. Do you have any advice?

Dear Outcast,

With everything going on in the world right now, it’s easy to feel isolated. Everyone has their own issues and time commitments, and sometimes it can feel like you’ve gone days (or weeks or months) without really connecting with someone.

In our school community, we have no shortage of clubs and other organized activities. PHS has a variety of inclusive clubs that are open to anyone, such as the Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA), thespians, and clubs based on academic interests. If you’re looking for a group that you might fit in with, I’d start here! Check out Schoology for more information.

If you’re more interested in making connections away from school, there are a few support groups in our area that are free of charge and open to anyone! The Pride Initiative is a LGBTQIA+ support group that meets in-person in Crown Point and virtually! For more information on this group, visit CrownCounselingServices.com/pride-initiative. The National Institute of Mental Illness also offers both in-person and virtual support groups for individuals living with, or impacted by, mental health issues. Visit NAMIindiana.org/programs/support-groups to see about the groups that meet in Valparaiso and online!

Feeling alone is normal – we all experience episodes of loneliness and feeling like we don’t fit in. If you feel like you need more than a club or support group – if you are looking for another place to feel accepted and want to talk about seeing a counselor or therapist, talk to an adult you trust, like your school counselor or social worker.