Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Ask Ms. Evans: Mental Health Awareness

Dear Ms. Evans,

What is the importance of mental health awareness month? Can you tell me a little bit about healthy coping mechanisms, how to help my mental health, etc.?

The purpose of Mental Health Awareness Month is to educate the public about mental health issues and how they impact society. Increasing awareness of mental health issues helps improve understanding of the unique challenges that are associated with mental illness. When information about mental health is readily available, people are able to learn how they can be supportive of the mental health of the individuals in their lives and there is less fear associated with mental health challenges.

This year, the National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) is sponsoring the #MoreThanEnough Campaign, which aims to remind us that no matter our diagnosis, appearance, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or ability – we are valuable. If you have a story to share about your mental health, use the hashtag on social media to show others that they are not alone!

If you are struggling with your mental health or just want to learn more about the topic, there are so many resources available! You can talk to your school counselor, school social worker, medical provider, or another trusted adult. When all else fails, Google can usually get you enough information to point you in the right direction! Don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask for help because you are worth it!

Best, Ms. Evans!