Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Fallout on the Field

Fallout on the Field

Monday Night football took a turn for the worst when Buffalo Bills Safety, Damar Hamlin, collapsed on the field after tackling Tee Higgins.

Less than ten minutes into the game, the Buffalo Bills were down 3-7. Hoping to make a big block against Tee Higgins, Hamlin charged towards the ball carrier. In return, Higgins ran into Hamlin with such might that he was only taken aback. A few moments after the whistle, Hamlin collapsed to the ground.

The Bills official Twitter account released a statement saying, “Damar Hamlin suffered a cardiac arrest following a hit in our game versus the Bengals.” And “Please pray for our brother.”

CPR was administered on the field for nine minutes before he was transported to a local hospital. Fans in the Paycor Stadium stayed in their seats looking for updates from the jumbotrons and social media. Not too shortly after Hamlin was rushed off the field, there was an official statement from the NFL.

The statement said, “The NFL has been in constant communication with the NFL Players Association which is in agreement with postponing the game.”

There have been many well wishes towards the Hamlin family since the initial scare on the field. The Hamlin family is grateful for all the support they have received.

“On behalf of our family,” they said in a statement, “we want to express our sincere gratitude for the love and support shown for Damar during this challenging time.”