Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Firsthand Experience of a Blackhawks Win

In the city of Chicago, sports teams are not at their peak potential. Their hockey team, the Chicago Blackhawks, have been a prime example of that for a few seasons now. As of this past weekend, the team has just won their 10th game of the season and I was there to see it in person.

On Sunday, January 8th, the Blackhawk played the Calgary Flames at home. It was also Retro Reverse jersey night. My mom and I planned to go not only to see the Retro jerseys, but it was also a 70’s Disco themed night.

The first goal was scored by Lukas Reichel and it was his first NHL goal of his career. The second goal was shot in by Colin Blackwell. At this moment in the first period, the crowd was electric and full of energy like never before in the season. The first period ended with a score of 2-1 with the Blackhawks leading the Flames!

The second period began with a quick shot from Philip Kurashev making the game 3-1. The Flames didn’t fall behind though because they scored 2 shortly after Kurashev’s goal. The game was tied going into the 3rd and final period with a score of 3-3.

The 3rd period was exciting in the way that there was more fighting than scoring because there was not a single goal in the last period, pushing this game into overtime. This was concerning for the fans because the Blackhawks haven’t won a game in overtime since last season. All overtime games of the 2022-2023 season have been losses.

It’s 3-on-3 hockey in overtime and it’s a 5 minute period. On the ice for the Blackhawks was Toews, Stalock, and Domi. The crowd was going wild, the fans were yelling, and the Blackhawks looked confident. With a flash of an instant, Max Domi scored and the Blackhawks won their 10th game of the season and broke their overtime losing streak.

I’ve never witnessed so much energy and chaos in my life. I jumped out of my seat, my phone went flying, and I started cheering. The horn blared and The Fratellis, “Chelsea Dagger” anthem started to play! The final score was 4-3 Blackhawks. HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN!