Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

National Library Lovers Month

Love is still in the air after Valentine’s day; February is National Library Lovers Month! This month we are appreciating our very own librarians, or media clerks, Mrs. Rebecca Belt and Mrs. Debra Thorn.

Belt started her career at Portage schools at Jones Elementary in 2011 and moved to PHS in 2016. When asked why she made the change she said she felt she was “more geared toward high school students.” Thorn started at Central Elementary in 2004, and came to PHS in 2013 just looking for a change.

The pair have a special bond, calling each other someone they love to see at work every day. They also want to emphasize that they love their jobs. They both said that the move from elementary to high school was the best decision they’ve made.

“I love my job,” Belt said, “it’s like Disney World: the happiest place in Portage High School.”

Since it’s National Library Lovers Month, the media clerks at PHS want students to know how important it is to read. Belt and Thorn agree that reading is fundamental for every student. They are thrilled when students truly have a passion for reading.

But, if you haven’t found you passion just yet, Mrs. Belt and Mrs. Thorn are here to help.

“If you hate to read, you just haven’t found your book yet,” Belt said.