Portage Township Media

The Student News Site of Portage High School

Portage Township Media

Portage Township Media

Prom Attendance In Jeopardy After New Policy

After an updated version of the absence policy at PHS, students are worried about their chances of going to prom. Although there have been policies similar in the past, this year’s is much more tightly wound.

The new policy was put in place to make sure anyone who attends prom is someone who attends school on a regular basis. The policy allows students to only miss 24 mods total, or else they cannot attend prom.

Shane Nelson, PHS attendance officer, explained that this is not as new as students think.

“This is my second year at PHS, and I know there was a policy similar to this for Prom last year,” Nelson said. “Prior to that, I’m not really sure. In speaking with the attendance secretaries, however, they have told me that there have been policies like this in the past as well.”

Student’s responses were mixed, some believing it is completely reasonable.

One senior said, “I believe that this rule is fair. Accountability is an important skill that everyone needs, and I think that 24 missed mods is more than enough. If you want to participate, then you have to follow the rules.”

Opposing responses are more common this year, saying that it is irrational.

“The new attendance policy is quite dumb, because I believe that teachers fail to realize the things that students may go through at home, as to why their attendance is so bad,” another senior said.

The varying opinions are causing issues amongst students and staff. Will the policy hold students accountable like admin hopes, or just eliminate prom attendance this spring?